Tuesday, August 21

The God Delusion

There’s always this argument about whether God exists. I think it’s a good argument, a good questioning but I cringe when people start to pull such tug of wars of truth with scientific facts or anything that revolves alongside logical assumptions and presumptions.

I would for once like to hear an argument about the essence of Godship itself, the soundness of whether believing in a God does actually in the end make you a better person or help cope with life's struggles. Simply, do we need God.

If yes, why? If no, why? Don’t give me scientific mumbo jumbo that focuses so much energy on the Existence of God.

And what’s with the angst of the author of the God delusion. There are long logical arguments which have the resounding undertone that God sucks, that God is evil, that God hurt him and the world is crap because of God. He argues much with his intellect to point out the stupidity of acknowledging that God exists. It makes sense there for its right and true and a fact… yah right.

“arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction. Jealous and proud of it, a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak, a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Such is his personal description of the God. I read it from his statements, the undertone of it all is more like, God you suuuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, you God believers are mother f*ckeerrrrrrrssssssssssssssssssssssssss. No? Amidst his adamant inclination towards the logical, the scientific, the precision of truth, much of his statements are implicit and explicit assumptions of other assumptions and conjectures. He complains that there's much contradictions in religion whilst he contradicts himself many times. So where's the integrity of it all?

Then there’s this smug factor residing in both God believers and atheists. These are what that causes damage not God. It’s like racism, one Malay, Chinese or Indian does something that you disapprove then you declare genocide on the entire race. The problem most of the time is the misinterpretation of religious texts and it’s unkindly application of such wrong interpretations that resulted in hurting someone else. It would be a more sound argument to question the theologies of a church, of a person then shunning the whole existence of God itself.

Anyhow, he speaks of how life could be more fulfilled with science or an atheist mentality. Really? Let’s see, I embrace the truth that I’m a descendant of the monkey kind. Wow! I’m soooooo happy! Tell me then what scientific or atheistic mentality would help me know what to do if my family/marriage is crumbling apart, or someone I love is dying, or when I’m in a depression and feel like killing myself?

Lets apply scientific analysis and truth to one of the situations, we take situation of I’m going to die in a year’s time.

1. I’m dying.
2. Since I’m dying, it’s logically sound to assume that a lot of pain is coming my way. Oh ya, I’m going to not see my love ones anymore and not be able to experience the very things I love to do anymore.
3. There’s no God, so there’s no heaven, so there’s no afterlife. So ya, that’s it.
4. The doctors using scientific medical analysis say that there’s no cure. So yes, it’s further proof I’m dying.
5. I’m from the monkey kind.

If I believed that there’s a God.

1. I’m dying
2. There’s going to be a lot of pain, but I could pray to ask God to take the pain away. It’s comforting when your religious members come together and pray for you or even the knowledge that they are praying for you.
3. There’s an afterlife, an afterlife that I would be given a perfect body that’s free from sickness. An afterlife that speaks of being able to see my love ones again.
4. Again, I could pray for grace that I’d be healed and spared.

Delusional? To some yes, but well the prospect of hope and comfort is logically higher in the second to me. Where's the fulfillment promised by the first set?


Till science could one day give me answers and fill that gap in my soul better then believing in God does, I’d rather stick with my so called ‘delusion’.

2 Eye Balls:

Anonymous said...

yes , he does sound unreasonably bitter. I suppose he speaks/writes like that to be dramatic, and thus attract a large audience.

I think he's doing what the religious people have been doing all along, bringing emotion into a rational debate.

Monsta said...

hmm, define 'religious' ppl to me? :)

Blog Archive

Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 06 September 2007

This blog is a sponsored blog created or supported by a company, organization or group of organizations. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org

Alexa